THE LION BREWERY, a prominent riverside landmark in Lambeth, just before it was demolished in 1949 for the building of the Royal Festival Hall.Image Source Lambeth Archives

Before good clean public drinking water was available it was often safer to drink beer or ale than polluted river water. It is not surprising that the area housed a number of breweries. Goding's Lion Brewery building, near Waterloo, was erected as a storehouse in 1836 and was topped by a lion of made of Coade Stone. It was widely rumoured that this lion contained the formula for Coade Stone, but in 1951 the building was demolished but no formula was found!