About 1197 a house was built for the Bishop of Rochester on a site between modern day Hercules Road and Carlisle Lane. Around 1217 it was rebuilt and called La Place.
In 1531 a poisoning attempt was made on Rochester Bishop John Fisher by his cook Richard Rouse(Rose). But the Bishop 'eats no pottage that daie' but 14 guests died instead. Rouse was boiled alive at Smithfield till he died. John Fisher did not live much longer as he fell out with Henry VIII over divorce and was beheaded on 22nd June 1535. His head was stuck on a spike on London Bridge where it stayed for two weeks before being thrown into the river and replaced by the head of Thomas More.
In 1539 the Bishop of Carlisle took over the house. During the Commonwealth period it was sold but returned afterwards though never used by the Bishop. From 1690 to 1730 part was used as a pottery and from then till 1763 as a Tavern. Of the next 23 years a Dance Master had the lease after which it was used as a private residence and an academy for young gentlemen till 1826. In 1827 it was demolished and smaller houses were built on the site.