Vauxhall Water Company

South London Waterworks at Vauxhall c1807

Vauxhall Water Company was formed in 1805 as the South London Waterworks Company. The works were based at the Oval and took water from both the Thames and Vauxhall Creek. It supplied the parish of St Giles, Camberwell, parts of Lambeth together with other parts of Surrey. The Vauxhall Creek supply became very polluted and was taken over by the Sewer Commissioners in the early 1830s. In 1834 the company was renamed the Vauxhall Water Company an acquired the area formerly served by the Lambeth Waterworks. In 1845 it was amalgamated with the Southwark Water Company to form the Southwark and Vauxhall Water Company. The works at the Oval were sold in 1847 when gasworks were built on the site.

Map of Water Works 1856